Frequently asked questions

What is the application procedure?

Application to the program is a two step online procedure: First, you will have to register with a valid email address and you will then recieve an unique code along with the application link. Second, submit your application using your perosnal code and the link you recieved after your registration. After the application deadline, all applications will be evaluated. If you are short-listed for an interview, you will receive an invitation to our online Recruitment Event. For further information, please visit the "How to apply" and the "timeline" section on our website.

Can I apply without a TOEFL?

TOEFL is not mandatory but it will enhance your application. We also accept IELTS and other English certificates. However, at the interviews you need to show that you are fluent in written and spoken English.

Do I need my M.Sc. or diploma degree when I send my application?

You do not need a degree at the time of application. But you must have been awarded your M.Sc. or a diploma degree before the start of your studies at the IMPRS-MOB.

Where can I get my visa?

Once you have been invited for an interview or to the program, the coordination office will send an official invitation letter (in English) and a letter addressed to the German Embassy your country of residence. To obtain your visa you will need to make an appointment with the German Embassy or a German consulate in the country of your current residency. At this appointment, you will need to show our letter and apply for the appropriate visa (proof of health insurance required). In case problems arise, please inform the coordination office.

Can I apply for a tourist visa?

You can use a tourist visa only for the interview. For your graduate studies, you will have to apply for a specific visa.

The German Embassy told me that I don't need a visa.

Students from EU countries and some additional countries (e.g. U.S.A., Canada, Mexico) can apply for a residence permit during the first three months of their stay in Germany.

I missed the deadline. What can I do?

Registration and application is only possible until the posted deadlines. Nevertheless, our research faculty is open to receive applications from enthusiastic young researchers thoughout the year.

How are students funded during their PhD?

The doctoral funding contracts combine research in scientific freedom with social security. They allow doctoral researchers to devote themselves independently to their scientific work without any constraints. The agreed working time currently amounts to 39 hours per week. Payment is based on the Collective Wage Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD) and currently amounts to a minimum of just under €2,700 gross (Jan2021). Depending on the subject or on the basis of an individually granted bonus, payment for doctoral researchers may also be higher.

Are the lectures held in English or in German?

The program is conducted in English only.

Where is Bad Nauheim?

Bad Nauheim is located halfway between Frankfurt and Giessen. It has excellent access to public transfer. You can reach either Frankfurt or Giessen within 30 minutes. Bad Nauheim has a population of approx. 30.000 and has many restaurants and bars to offer. You can also enjoy outdoor activities like hiking, swimming and biking in the surrounding area.

Who will help me to find an accommodation?

As soon as you have got your visa please tell us the exact date of your arrival. For up to three months we will try to arrange accommodation for you in our guestrooms. We will also assist you in finding suitable accommodation once you arrive in Bad Nauheim.

What do I need to bring?

You need your visa, passport and all of your original certificates. All other administrative issues can be dealt with once you arrive in Bad Nauheim.

Go to Editor View